HEY 3rd, 4th and 5th grade readers!
Want to “Battle” it out? Join a Battle of the Books team, or create one of your own.
You will read fantastic books, have fun with friends, and test your memory by “battling” other teams. The winner O’Dea's building BOB from each grade will go to the district competition to try their luck and skills against other schools.
Battle of the Books is a fantastic means of supporting reading.
Teams of 3-4 students (3rd through 5th grade) come together in late November to create their own BOB teams, find their own coaches with assistance from the staff at O’Dea, and start reading books from their grade-level BOB reading list. Books are available to students thanks to O'Dea's PTA.
Team members meet once a week to discuss the books they are reading and practice answering competition questions. All of the books must be read before the March O’Dea competition.
It is great fun to compete against other teams answering comprehension questions about the book they have read.
BOB Coaches Needed
A coach’s responsibilities include:
- Preparing your team for the March battle.
- Keep team members on track with the reading of the books. (book lists will be provided)
- Practice sample questions (provided) with your team during team gatherings.
- Students need to know titles and authors of the books on the list.
- Most teams meet once a week beginning usually in January to prepare for the battle and come together as a team.
- Team flags or costumes can be created for the competition.